Tofu gets a bad rap! Why? Oftentimes people are turned off by the texture, flavour and that they're geneticall modified and not organic! We sometimes hear through the grapevine that tofu is soggy or doesn’t hold flavours well, but we’re here today to tell you that this is simply NOT true! Tofu can have an incredibly
crispy, wonderful texture and has the ability to take on literally any
flavour profile you’re looking to create! Not to mention, the tofu that WE carry is both organic AND Non-GMO! So... what’s the secret behind the elusive crispy, flavourful tofu? Well, you’re probably just not preparing it correctly! Read below for why you need to start pressing your tofu!!!
How to Press Tofu
Yes… pressed tofu is very much a thing, and this little-known process is actually pretty integral to how your tofu turns out! Tofu is a really great protein alternative for a plant-based and vegan lifestyle, and contains all eight essential amino acids! Not to mention, tofu is an excellent source of minerals like manganese, phosphorus, selenium and so much more. It’s clear that tofu is a great addition to a plant-based diet, so it’s important that people are using it correctly to not only gain the health benefits, but the awesome flavour potential as well!!
Now in order to amp up the tofu flavour profile… literally ALL of the water absolutely MUST go!!!
Here’s a quick breakdown of WHY:
- The texture of your tofu will change significantly! By getting rid of all of the water, your tofu becomes much chewier, and more substantial in texture. This will also allow your tofu to crisp up depending on how you decided to cook your tofu!
- Did YOU know that tofu is filled with tiny pockets of water? When you press the tofu, effectively draining the pockets of their water, you are opening up these pockets to other flavours!!! Any marinade, dressing or spice that you add to your tofu is now able to enter these pockets, filling your tofu with all kinds of wonderful flavours! YUM!
Okay so now that we’ve established the WHY… we need to figure out the HOW! How does one properly press or drain tofu?
…Luckily, I have that answer too!
I’ve seen the homemade tofu presses, and honestly – it’s not pretty.
It’s a very tedious, messy and time consuming process and it’s not always the most effective! Insert: Tofuture’s Tofu Press
!!! Try saying that ten times fast!!!
Tofuture’s BPA-free Tofu Press could not be easier! You simply place your tofu into the inner tub, and pull the bands down over the clips to close them. This tofu press even
has different press
settings that you can set it to, depending on your recipe and how you want the texture to turn out! All you have to do is let the press gradually drain out the water into the outer tub… which you can easily discard later!
Voila! Easy, effective… and no need to clean up mess! PLUS – this press is dishwasher safe so no need to worry about handwashing it either!
Have a sudden craving for tofu? Try the recipe below!
Here’s What You’ll Need!
- Vegetables of your choosing! We love using red pepper, onions, asparagus or mushrooms!
- 1 block of tofu
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Tofuture’s Tofu Press
- Place the tofu into the Tofuture’s Tofu Press. Once the water has been drained, break of the tofu into crumbled curds and place into a bowl. Set aside!
- In a medium saucepan, add in your olive oil and vegetables. Cook until soft!
- Add in the crumbled tofu on medium-high heat and cook for about 4 minutes
- Add in nutritional yeast, turmeric, onion powder, olive oil and paprika!
- Cook for about three minutes!
- Serve with your choice of side! We personally love roasted sweet potatoes!
So… will you be trying the Tofuture’s Tofu Press?!