Looking for healthy, long weekend treats? These grab-n-go, gluten free doughnut holes are perfect to have on hand if you’re entertaining this long weekend! Better yet? Make these healthy doughnut holes ahead of time for a convenient dessert or snack that’s sure to be a crowd pleasure… with BOTH the kids and adults!
So whether you’re jetting off on a camp or cottage trip, or hosting a backyard BBQ right here in the city, you NEED to add these to your menu this long weekend!
- 5 cups oil
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative
- 1 free range egg or two flax eggs
- 1 teaspoon Ambrosia’s Own Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Mixed Berry Acai – Silk Yogurt: Protein-packed doughnut holes! With 5 grams of plant protein per serving, along with live and active cultures, these yogurts will amp up the nutrient profile of your doughnut holes! Not to mention, they’re a good source of vitamin D & calcium… AND are free from cholesterol, dairy, soy, lactose, gluten, and carrageenan!
2 cups Banana Flour – Hearthy Flour: The brand new banana flours from Hearthy Flour are an excellent dietary source of heart healthy nutrients like potassium and magnesium, as well as vitamins, minerals and resistant starch.
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Ambrosia’s Own Cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup diced Organic Strawberries
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan until the thermometer reads 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Whisk together until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add in milk/milk alternative, egg/flax eggs, yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until ingredients are incorporated. Add in strawberries.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the batter out and drop it into the hot oil.
- Fry donuts for 1-2 minutes per side or until donuts are golden-brown.
- Using tongs or a strainer, remove doughnuts and drain on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Repeat this process until all of the batter is used.
- Allow to cool and SERVE!
Happy Long Weekend!